Preserve America Community:
Camden, South Carolina
Camden, South Carolina, (population 6,682) is the oldest inland town in the state. It dates to 1732, when the colonial township of Fredericksburg was surveyed by order of King George II.
The settlement grew in the 1750s around the Pine Tree Hill trading post, and in 1768 the name was changed to Camden in honor of the Lord Camden, the British Parliamentary champion of colonial rights.
Camden was a major center of Revolutionary War activity and preserves three sites of national significance. The city is the seat of Kershaw County and today combines its extensive heritage tourism program with a thriving industrial community.
Since 2005, Camden has been a leading partner in the preservation and restoration of the Battle of Camden National Historic Landmark. Activities include restoring the natural setting back to 1780 conditions, building hiking and bike trails, and interpreting the battle to the public. The project was kicked off with 225th anniversary reenactments of the battle, attracting thousands of visitors.
The city also supports the Historic Camden Revolutionary War Park, a 98-acre outdoor museum complex, which includes the town site of colonial and Revolutionary Camden, and several restored and refurnished period houses. The park also includes reconstructions of military fortifications and patriot Joseph Kershaw’s mansion, which was used as British headquarters.
Other attractions in the city include the Old Camden Trace, a 3.5 mile walk through Historic Camden; and the 1758 Quaker Cemetery.
For more information
City of Camden: www.cityofcamden.org
Kershaw County Historical Society: www.kershawcountyhistoricalsociety.org
Posted March 16, 2009