Preserve America Community:
Little Falls, Minnesota
Nicknamed “Pine Country” for its massive pine forests, Little Falls, Minnesota, (population 8,304) is located in Morrison County and was incorporated in 1889. The “little falls” of the area is the second of only four waterfalls along the entire Mississippi River. James Green, the first permanent settler in the area, built the first dam in 1849, as well as a sawmill by the falls to supply lumber for the building of Fort Ripley.
Weyerhaeuser Corporation, one of the world’s largest lumber distributors, began in Little Falls as the Pine Tree Lumber Company. Little Falls was also the boyhood home of Charles Lindbergh, who made the first ever solo trans-Atlantic flight.
In an effort to honor, preserve, and promote the residential architectural heritage of the community, the Little Falls Historic Preservation Commission established a Century Homes Recognition Program. The program has recognized 731 homes that are at least 100 years old whose original historic appearance has been kept or restored.
The commission also designed a textbook to teach the children of Little Falls about their city and its heritage. The textbook, Little Falls on the Big River: A History of Little Falls, Minnesota for Kids, is used in fifth grade history classes as a supplemental text. It has also been used in a fourth grade history contest. The book is a reliable source of the town’s history, and its rich content was made possible through a substantial community effort.
The Charles A. Weyerhaeuser Museum was built in honor of the lumberman and is home to the Morrison County Historical Society. The museum sits on the banks of the Mississippi River and houses countless artifacts and archival materials that illuminate the history of Little Falls and Morrison County.
For more information
City of Little Falls: www.littlefallsmn.com/Homepage.php
Morrison County Historical Society: www.morrisoncountyhistory.org
National Register Travel Itinerary: www.cr.nps.gov/nr/travel/aviation
Posted April 29, 2009