Preserve America Community:
Grapevine (population 47,599) was first settled in the mid-1840s as pioneers came to the area from the “Missouri Colony,” a group of Scotch-Irish from Platte County, Missouri. The town was platted in 1854 and developed into a regional agricultural center.
The arrival of the St. Louis and Southwestern Railroad in 1888 made Grapevine a regional shipping point for produce, particularly cotton. It also sparked a building boom from about 1890-1920, the period from which most of the historic buildings in Grapevine date.
In 1974, the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport was developed at the southeastern limits of the city. Creation of the airport and Grapevine’s proximity to Dallas and Fort Worth led to significant growth during the latter half of the 20th century. However, the community has been careful to preserve its historic character despite its recent population boom.
Grapevine has three historic districts listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The 1901 Cotton Belt Railroad Depot has been restored for use as the Grapevine Historical Museum. Each year, the Main Street Days festival focuses on the history of Grapevine and informs visitors about the community’s heritage. In 2006, attendance topped 125,000 people.
Through a public-private partnership, Grapevine is working to preserve the Nash Farm, the oldest intact farmstead in Tarrant County. A capital campaign is underway to raise funds to restore the farm as a center for heritage education, living history, entertainment, and community activities. Annual spring and fall festivals at the farm already are giving local citizens and visitors a glimpse into the community’s agricultural past.
For more information
City of Grapevine: www.ci.grapevine.tx.usGrapevine Convention and Visitors Bureau: www.grapevinetexasusa.com
Posted March 18, 2009