Preserve America Community:
The City of Delaware
is the seat of Ohio's Delaware County and has a population of approximately
26,500. Originally home to the Mound Builders, and later to Delaware
and other Indian tribes, Delaware's earliest American settlement
dates from 1808.
Historic Winter Street in downtown Delaware, Ohio. The city recently partnered with local businesses and invested approximately $5 million in streetscape improvements in its historic downtown. (Photo courtesy of the Delaware County Convention and Visitors Bureau)
During the War of 1812, Delaware served as the headquarters of General William Henry Harrison. Settlers poured into the area after 1814; they included the parents of future President Rutherford B. Hayes, who was born in Delaware and met his future wife Lucy Webb at local Ohio Wesleyan University.
Recently, the City of Delaware partnered with local businesses and invested approximately $5 million in streetscape improvements in its historic downtownthe largest major investment of city money, planning, and project development in the downtown district in half a century.
To ensure that the private reinvestment and rehabilitation effort that followed would retain the historic character of the community, the city established a formal historic preservation review process in 1998. MainStreet Delaware, Inc., has awarded its first Downtown Revitalization Awards to 10 individuals and organizations for important projects, including the recent rehabilitation and restoration of the city's Carnegie Library.
The community's growing preservation expertise and commitment led to its designation as a Certified Local Government by the National Park Service in 2003.
Updated March 23, 2004