Glendale Historical Society
The Glendale Historical Society got its start in 1979 when a group of citizens came together to save the Doctors House. Built in 1890, the Queen Anne-Eastlake style building was home to a series of four notable local doctors, hence its present name. By the later 1970s, the Doctors House was one of the last remaining Queen Anne style houses in the city and was threatened with demolition.
The Glendale Historical Society partnered with the City of Glendale to move the house about four miles to Brand Park. Federal, municipal, and private funding paid for restoration of the structure, and more than 150 volunteers contributed more than 18,000 hours in manual labor, research, and fund-raising activities. The rehabilitated house opened to the public for tours in 1984.
Today, volunteer docents guide visitors through the historic house and lead numerous tours for school children. Docents receive training in Victorian customs, fashion, architecture, early Glendale history, and the process of moving and restoring the Doctors House. Some docents are young college students and high school students who have been recruited to volunteer.
The Doctors House is the only museum in the City of Glendale. It was preserved and is interpreted through the efforts of the Glendale Historical Society's committed volunteers.
For more information: Glendale Historical Society
Updated on April 11, 2015