Friends of Jerusalem Mill Preservation of Jerusalem Mill Village
The Friends of Jerusalem Mill was founded in 1985 to preserve historic Jerusalem Mill Village, one of the oldest, most intact mill villages in Maryland. Jerusalem Mill operated from 1772 to 1961, when the property was purchased by the State of Maryland for inclusion in Gunpowder Falls State Park. The gristmill and adjacent buildings then sat vacant and neglected until the Friends of Jerusalem Mill partnered with the state to begin restoring, preserving, and interpreting the village and its history.
The mill village is now open to the public, free of charge, every Sunday for interpretive tours led by volunteers in period dress. In addition to the tours, volunteers are involved with hands-on restoration work, artifact preservation, and maintenance of the buildings and grounds. Volunteers have provided much of the hands-on labor to restore the blacksmith shop, gun shop, general store, and springhouse. Volunteers also play a major role in the site’s living history interpretation, demonstrating 18th and 19th century work and crafts.
Friends of Jerusalem Mill involves youth as volunteers, tutoring several young people in living history skills. A local summer camp director works with the organization to design volunteer opportunities for their campers, and college and high school student interns serve summer apprenticeships.
For more information:Friends of Jerusalem Mill www.jerusalemmill.org
Updated on June 11, 2012