Olmsted Historical Society
Preservation of the Frostville Museum Complex
Preserved and interpreted by the Olmsted Historical Society, the Frostville Museum presents a living history of 19th century Ohio. The museum comprises eight buildings: the Prechtel House (the only home original to the site), Jenkins’ Cabin, the Briggs House, the Carpenter House, the Gifford General Store, the Display Barn, the Events Barn, and the Frostville Village Church (formerly the Barton Church).
The Olmsted Historical Society has approximately 100 members, many of whom volunteer to help maintain the buildings and grounds, and to restore the buildings. Volunteers offer tours for schools, Scouts, and other youth and adult groups, as well as appearing in period attire during many scheduled events at the museum.
In 2005, the historic 1847 Barton Road Church was moved six miles from its original location to Frostville Museum and restored over a three year period. The project was a joint effort of society members, the Landmarks Commission of North Olmsted, North Olmsted City officials, and officials from Cleveland Metroparks.
Through a special local school program, several high school seniors are assigned each year to the Olmsted Historical Society/Frostville Museum, where, alongside members of the historical society, they help with everything from construction projects to historical research. Last year, Eagle Scout projects included the painting and restoration of the Carpenter House and installation of a stone patio at the Event Barn.
For more information:
Olmsted Historical Society: www.olmstedhistoricalsociety.org
Posted November 27, 2010